Friday, December 12, 2008

She held, He said, She wondered

She held my hand and wouldn't let go.
I think she's seen me around and has been wanting to talk to me. She asks me the questions I can answer in Hassaniya and thinks I'm Bilani (White Moor - a way of saying I integrate well). I don't stop her. She shows me her house and lets me know i'm welcome anytime. Her mulafe is pink like her cheeks.
She held my hand and wouldn't let go.

He said he saw me and didn't know how to talk to me.
He has been in Aleg as long as I have and he struggles with Hassaniya. He does not know French, only English and his dialect from Ghana. His English is broken but he speaks in a genuine way. When I ask him about his past he says he doesn't know how to tell me. He falls silent with saddness in his eyes. His robe is white as a cloud.
He said he saw me and didn't know how to talk to me.

She wondered when I'd finally find her.
She is large and lays lazily in her botique. She gives me peanuts to eat and tells me I look Mauritanian. She asks me about my father. The mat on the floor is plastic and she gives me a pillow to lounge. She calls me an old friend. Her smile is as big as I remember. She tells me not to lose her again. Her hair is freshly braided.
She wondered when I'd finally find her.

5 comments:

marta said...

Are these the people you mentioned that you have gotten to know in the village?
Haha...it's so cool how you blend in where ever you go!
You know though, I think it's more the smile you carry within you, that people really want to know!
Keep on smilin', Ash!
Nice story!
xoxoxoox
Mom

marta said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Sounds like you are feeling comfortable - because you express this poem like eveything was meant to be - you were MEANT to meet these people and they knew it even before you did...perhaps?

Beautiful entry Ash

Marci said...

As alaways, your writing is beautiful. Thinking of you and wishing you a Merry Christmas in spirit. Love, Aunt Marci

Jan Buerge said...

Powerful words and they create such wonderful pictures. Ashley, your writing and descriptions just get better and better. Hope you've had an interesting and wonderful holiday season. Blessings in the New Year!

Jan Buerge