Saturday, February 27, 2010

Red Pens and Paper Scraps

My desk continues to fill with papers pulled from notebooks. The teachers continue to brush chalk off their hands. My lesson planning book continues to fill. My students continue to entertain me with their learning. I now have four English clubs, three for students and one for teachers. Starting the club for students I was amazed when 300 students signed up. I was further surprised when the teachers asked for not just one but two days of English. The demand here is overwhelming – in the good sense. The result is that I find myself in a stuffy room as the evening approaches conducting groups of 100 teens. Though it sounds like it would be crazy, it is actually very organized. These students are so interested in learning they hang onto every word. They take my silly games so seriously I have to laugh. For one club I had a puzzle game. The students had to fill in the blanks of the sentences I wrote on the board, then take the first letter of each word in the blank, unscramble them and make a word from the category I gave (Food, Country, Number, Animal….). I made the prize for the winners a pack of 6 shortbread cookies, not even enough for a whole team to have one cookie each. By the end of the game most students were no longer sitting in chairs, rather jumping up and down with excitement. The cookies were all but forgotten and the pride of winning took over. The final showdown between two teams brought passersby to the dirty school windows, wondering what the commotion was about.


In my teacher’s club I told a story about Mauritania and showed some pictures from my computer. I told them about Sayid, and the time he became so sick with parasites and malnutrition. They loved learning about another country – and to see that some places have different, but still difficult problems. Sayid suffered because he didn’t get enough meat and vegetables (and that mouthful of dirty sand he ate… oh Sayid…). Here that really isn’t a problem. Rather than a rolling desert, there is rolling green. Most of the farmers here are subsistence farmers, meaning they grow just enough to feed their families. We also talked about traditional healing, and they were interested to hear about what rituals happened in Mauritania. They told me that in Rwanda traditional healers give you herbs and creams more than prayers and string (like Sayid’s traditional healer gave him).

In one of my clubs I plan to start a correspondence with a school in America. Students are working on writing a letter, it’s not a simple process for them. After the first draft, and lots of giggling at the questions and English mistakes, I had to talk to them about the taboo of asking for money. I can’t even count how many students said “Dear American students. I am poor and I have no means. Can you send me money for my family and for my education? Thank you.” I had to stress that the letters were going to 13 year olds. They asked me “But teacher… isn’t everyone rich in America??” Sighhh… Oh American image. Oh American ideology. Your expanse so vast people can see your golden arches from Rwanda….

Some letters made me stop and think. Like this one from Viateur:
**Note, I’ve corrected some English to make it more readable, but left many mistakes, as I think I would change the meaning by changing the English.
Dear American,
The first word – Hello.
I am Seventeen years old. I have one parent.
I am happy because I have a teacher from America.
I am happy to meet with you. I wish I was able to meet you because I love America’s people.
I wish you to be my best friend because I here in Rwanda. I live alone and haven’t friend.
My parent died in genocide. I’m studying in 3rd form Rugabano Secondary School. I wish you to be my advice-man and you will be my parent. I pray my God to help me to see correspondence from man from America.
I like music because it helps me forget the long ago, which lives in my life.
Let me tell you:
I like American language English and my language, Kinyarwanda.
I love my American teacher because she advises me well.
Ok. May God is protect you.
See you,
It’s your friend from Rwanda,
Viateur.
He joined the club after the first had already passed – the club in which we worked on our letters. He approached me in the teacher’s lounge and asked permission to be in the club. When I told him “of course” he handed me this letter. I was surprised he had taken the initiative to write it on his own. Though there are small grammar mistakes, it’s clear he put a lot of time into his work. I can also guess that he wasn’t really aware these letters would go to young students – so perhaps my dad wants to have a 17 year old penpal – be an advice-man and parent from overseas?? Haha.

In a breath, I continue to love this work. Everyday is filled with moments of laughter, frustration and excitement. And every once in a while, you come across things that touch your soul.

4 comments:

Jasmin said...

Thanks for another glimpse into your daily life in Rwanda! It's so interesting how things come back around. You mention how people farm for their families. In America, a typical meal has food from at least 5 countries. Which also means that we rely on planes, trains, and automobiles to get our food source. Many people are realizing that growing our own food or eating locally grown food is the cheapest and most globally responsible way.
Keep on keepin' on
-J

marta said...

As always, it makes our day to hear the next episode of your adventures! Sounds like you are keeping pretty busy!
We read your blog at our Lenten group tonight and everyone was impressed with your story and your writing.
Mrs. Lynn got a kick out of your teaching techniques and thinks you were born to teach!
We have to agree!
What a great letter from a young man.
Hmmm, maybe Nick would want to be a pen pal to your student or maybe even Mr. Kelly!
They both like music!
Where do the kids get the idea that all American kids are rich? Do they have TV there?
Jasmin sure hit the nail on the head regarding the farming! It is funny how things in life come around again!
As always, Dad and I are thrilled to hear your stories and we wish you luck with your MEGA classes!
We love you and will talk to you when you are 25!!!!!
xoxoxox
Mom and Pops

jami said...

oh jesus, i miss you. i got your letter. sara and i are working on a package for you. by working on one, i mean, that we have made no progress. but we continue talking about it. love you.

Unknown said...

I loved reading this, Ashley! You are doing good work, teaching skills and touching hearts.
You have also touched our hearts.
With love and admiration,
Eileen and Bill Frey

Happy Birthday!
123!